Re: kernel problem for trigonometry

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg29850] Re: kernel problem for trigonometry
  • From: "Orestis Vantzos" <atelesforos at>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 04:19:30 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Well, the trig expression does not evaluate to anything by itself, unless
you use N to turn it into a real number.
By calling FullSimplify you tell Mathematica to apply trig identities in an
effort to simplify the expr. It is obvious that simple arguments like Pi, 2
Pi, Pi/2, Pi/3 etc. simplify immedaitely to algebraic expressions involving
simple roots. Not so classical arguments like 220deg do not map readily to
algebraic expr. of roots. It is obvious that there is a wide range of
possible transformation that could be applied, so it is only natural that
FullSimplify takes a lot of time to navigate through the mess of trig
news:9ijhqn$rhr$1 at