Art competition :-)

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg29894] Art competition :-)
  • From: gleam at flashmail.com
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 01:00:39 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Mathgroup readers:

I would like to hold a simple Mathematica-generated art competition.  My
hope is that it will be an enjoyable project that will teach other members
something about Mathematica while creating something beautiful.

I give these rules and reasons for them:

Use only Mathematica // self-explanatory

All artwork must be original // self-explanatory

No source data may be used // no bitmap images, etc., are to be used

Two-dimensional only // limit the time involved for creation and rendering

No animations // limit storage space required for renderings

Max size of 1000 x 800 pixels // images should be viewable on most displays

Entries must render in a reasonable period of time // I will be rendering
each entry myself

Here is a page with two examples, which are also my
entries:  http://aerie.net/mma/

Please email entries in Mathematica Notebook format (may be compressed
using pkZIP or gZIP) directly to me (gleam at flashmail.com).  I will accept a
maximum of three works from each entrant.  All all entries will be rendered
as is, so please specify ImageSize, AspectRatio, etc. in your code.  There
is no restriction on the use of color, but be aware that all renderings
will be displayed on a black background.

A method of voting will be provided after a sufficient number of entires
are received.  After votes are tallied, the code for each of the top
entires will be posted along with the images, and credit will be given to
the appropriate artists.

Best of luck,

Paul