Re: password problem

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg29964] Re: password problem
  • From: Jens-Peer Kuska <kuska at informatik.uni-leipzig.de>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 03:28:28 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,

from my experience with Partition Magic on my dual boot
configuration, I assume that the MathID is generated from
the data on the root partition if you have no network card
with a MAC address. Since the root partition does not change
it seems impossible that you get a new MathID.

But Mathematica can store the password on two places
first in

$TopDirectory/Configuration/Licensing/mathpass

and second in your local preferences directory

$PreferencesDirectory/Configuration/Licensing/mathpass

I assume that you have installed Mathematica and enter
the password as a root. Mathematica has (on my Mandrake 8.0)
Linux the habit to write the password file into the
preferences directory of the root and not into the
global $TopDirectory/Configuration/Licensing/mathpass
this hinder all other users to use Mathematica.

Please login as root, look if you have a
/home/root/Configuration/Licensing/mathpass

and copy/move this file to

/usr/local/mathematica/Configuration/Licensing/mathpass

and ... hopefuly it will work.

Regards
  Jens