Element-by-element Matrix Multiplication
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg30070] Element-by-element Matrix Multiplication
- From: "Mark Coleman" <mcoleman at bondspace.com>
- Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 01:20:05 -0400 (EDT)
- Organization: BondSpace, Inc.
- Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
Greetings, I'm searching for an efficient way to calculate and element-by-element matrix multiplication for non-square matrices such that when I pass the module an integer 'k', it multplies the matrix by itself 'k' times. For instance, if k=25, then matMult[k,X] multiplies X*X*X..... 25 times. Note that this problem comes about in calculating k-step Marvok transition matrices. For my application, this function call is embedded in a Monte Carlo simulation, so efficiency is important. The methods I've used to date seem "too slow" and I was hoping that some of the Mathematica gurus on this list might offer me suggestions on speeding things up. Thanks in advance for your assistance! Best regards, Mark