Re: password problem

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg30059] Re: password problem
  • From: Alois Steindl <Alois.Steindl+e325 at>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 01:19:57 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Pawel Felcyn <pfelcyn at> writes:

> Thanks for your reply. I follow your suggestion and I found
> that the mathpass file was in the directory
> /usr/local/mathematica/Configuration/Licensing/.
> Still it had a "root" mashine ID number in it wheras ordinary
> user generates different mashine ID number.
> I do have network card attached to my computer but I have not
> configured it yet ( I planning to do so).
> Maybe this card is a problem?
> I have installed mathematica as a root with single mashine license.
I think I had the same problem a while ago (with RH 6.0, vanished with
RH 6.2). It seems that when Mathematica calculates the mashine ID, it somehow
initiates the network card (my home computer has one in it, but it
isn't used). This initiation doesn't occur for ordinary users,
(permission problem?), so that one gets a different ID.

The people at Mathematica were very helpful in this situation and send me a
new password for the user-ID, after I explained my problems.

Good luck
Alois Steindl,                  Tel.: +43 (1) 58801 / 32558
Inst. for Mechanics II,         Fax.: +43 (1) 58801 / 32598
Vienna University of Technology,
A-1040 Wiedner Hauptstr. 8-10   Email: Alois.Steindl+e325 at