Re: Curve fitting

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg29388] Re: Curve fitting
  • From: "David M. Wood" <dmwood at slate.Mines.EDU>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2001 02:47:59 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
> Subject: [mg29388]  Curve fitting
>>I'd like to find the parameters C1, C2, C3, C4, C5, such that the
>>expression "C1*Exp[x/C2] + C3*Exp[x/C4] + C5" best approximates a given
>>function (or, more directly, the distribution of a data series).  Any help
>>would be greatly appreciated.  (This is like the Poisson distribution, but
>>for two random variables, plus a constant offset... I think.)

Two remarks:

1. I have noticed in some cases that (at least for linear fits),
  LinearRegression is far more numerically stable than Fit.  Maybe same
  holds for NonLinear Fit?

2. IIRC, this functional form --sums of exponentials-- is notoriously
  difficult to reliably fit.  I remember trying to fit some temperature
  annealing data, and this issue came up.  I *think* I tried to fit the
  high T range reliably (hoping one exponential dominated), then, using
  the parameters I found, fit the low T.

For small x your fitting form looks like (c1 + c3 +c5) + (c1/c2 + c3/c4)x...
so there may be a whole locus of parameter values that fit reasonably
well.

--
David M. Wood
Department of Physics, Colorado School of Mines, Golden, CO 80401