Re: Mathematica Audio Problem

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg27489] Re: Mathematica Audio Problem
  • From: iliketrash at aol.com
  • Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2001 03:53:15 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

In article <97ffqn$g04 at smc.vnet.net>, Alan <kd7cyb at mac.com> wrote:

> Is there a way to remove "clicking" of audio files generated in
> Mathematica? I have a series of different frequencies sounds 0.1 second
> long and when they are combined before being exported out of
> Mathematica, they produce a sharp click as the end of one 0.1 second
> long sound ends at a different amplitude than the next bit of sound
> begins. This causes the speaker to jump to a different amplitude very
> quickly thus producing the annoying click. Is there a way to correct
> this?
>
> Thanks,
> Alan

Run a short moving average over a few points on either side of the
click. This will modify these few data points and smooth out the click.
You can do more sophisticated low-pass filters but this should do the
trick.

You might also slightly adjust the lengths of one of the data segments
so that it's level matches its neighbor at the splice point, but that's
a nuiscance.

Jerry