Re: Sound file -> CD burner??

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg27525] Re: Sound file -> CD burner??
  • From: "Paul Lutus" <nospam at nosite.com>
  • Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2001 03:40:05 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

"keith" <shulsky at email.arizona.edu> wrote in message
news:97l47a$ji6 at smc.vnet.net...
> Hi, I'm a semi-newbie to Mathematica, trying to create a test CD of sine
> frequencies.
> The help file is unclear on the subject, and there is no further
> information on the web-site... here I am.
>
> I'd like to generate frequencies from 10Hz to 21kHz, at varying steps,
> focusing on the drop-off points of my various audio drivers (100Hz,
> 5kHz, 20-21kHz).  Furthermore, these need to be non-clipping samples, as
> that'll cause serious damage to my equipment.
>
> I have figured out how to play and export to file these functions, but I
> can't get them in the right format to burn them to a CD (44.1KHZ,
> 16-bit, stereo).
>
> The following command gives me a playable file, but not burnable:
> Export["c:sinesw.wav", Play[ Sin[2000t], {t, 0, 10}], SampleDepth -> 16]
>
> This is all I've been able to get out of it. Is that all there is?

You need to find out what file format you need to burn your CD, and then see
if (1) Mathematica supports that sound file format, or (2) you have a way to
convert from a supported format to the one you need.

Here is a function for a 44.1 KHz sample rate, 16-bit depth, stereo tone:

snd[f_,t_] :=
Play[{Sin[2 Pi f i],Sin[2 Pi f i]},
{i,0,t},
SampleDepth->16,