Options for MatrixForm

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg27565] Options for MatrixForm
  • From: "David Park" <djmp at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 04:08:05 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Dear MathGroup,

I don't understand how options can be used in MatrixForm.

Here is a vector.

V = Array[v, 3];

If I use

V//MatrixForm

I obtain a nice column vector. Now, how would I display this as a row vector
using MatrixForm? If I get the information on TableDirections I obtain:

?TableDirections
"TableDirections is an option for TableForm and MatrixForm which specifies \
whether successive dimensions should be arranged as rows or columns."

In the Help documentation for MatrixForm it is stated:

"MatrixForm takes the same set of options as TableForm."

But TableDirections does not appear to work with MatrixForm.

V // MatrixForm[#, TableDirections -> Row] &  does not work. Neither does

Partition[V, 1] // MatrixForm[#, TableDirections -> Row] &

In fact, TableDirections does not seem to have any effect in MatrixForm at
all.  If this is the case, why doesn't WRI correct their Help and usage
message?

David Park
djmp at earthlink.net
http://home.earthlink.net/~djmp/