Re: max/min of functions

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg27634] Re: [mg27581] max/min of functions
  • From: "Mark Harder" <harderm at ucs.orst.edu>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2001 02:35:47 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

    There have been many other solutions, but here is my 2 cents anyway.
Pick an interesting symbolic expression, one with more than one extremum,
say  x^3 - 3 x^2 + 1 , and execute the following, which solves the equation
f'(x)=0, then Selects those solutions that have f''(x)<=0 (maxima) and
f''>=0 (minima):

g = x^3 - 3 x^2 + 1;
Plot[g, {x, -1, 3}]
Mrules = Flatten[Solve[D[g, x] == 0., x] ]
xVals = Map[Replace[x, #] &, Mrules];
(D[g, {x, 2}] /. x -> #) & /@ xVals
Print["minima @ ", Select[xVals, (D[g, {x, 2}] /. x -> #) >= 0. &] ];
Print["maxima @ ", Select[xVals, (D[g, {x, 2}] /. x -> #) <= 0. &] ];

    Except for the plot this returns
Out[209]= {x -> 0., x -> 2.}
Out[211]= {-6., 6.}

    In the event that g(x)=x^3, there are 2 extrema, both =0. and they are
both minima & maxima, because g''(x)=0 at x=0.  When the function is Sin[x],
the Solve[] function only generates one solution, but it tells you that
there may be more solutions.

-mark harder