Re: things to do before reinstalling linux

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg27703] Re: [mg27693] things to do before reinstalling linux
  • From: Jean-Marie THOMAS <jmt at agat.net>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 02:09:47 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I had Mathematica installed on a notebook computer, with dual boot (Win98 and
Mandrake 7.1).
Mathematica had two passwords to run (one when ethernet pcmcia in and one for
card out).
The partition scheme was / and swap.

I switched from Mandrake to Debian 2.2r2, from scratch after saving important
files on another computer, and kept the same partition scheme. After
reinstalling Mathematica, the same two passwords were okay.

As far as I understand from Unix (or is it just Linux) password strategy, by
experience and by various readings, the MathID depends on some number
generated by the hard disk itself, the location of the /usr/local and the
time zone, plus other stuff (like network configuration).
So, if you don't change any of these parameters, the password you have should
not change.