May be a math question

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg27842] May be a math question
  • From: Cheng Liu <cliu at lanl.gov>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 17:51:22 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

[Please send pure mathematics discussions directly to this author
 via email.   Post Mathematica solutions to this to the mailing list
 -- moderator]

Hi, group,

	I think my question is probably about mathematics rather than
Mathematica, but I am so impressed by the depth of discussion regarding
some math issues on this list, so I decided to ask for help here anyway.

	I want to generate a point set in a, say 1x1 square, region.
The requirement would be that for any given point, the distance between
this point and its nearest neighbor should satisfy a given distribution,
e.g., Gaussian.  Any help, suggestion, or pointer is appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Cheng
Cheng Liu, Ph.D.
MST-8, Structure/Property Relations
Materials Science and Technology Division
Los Alamos National Laboratory
Los Alamos, New Mexico 87545

Phone: 505-665-6892 (office), 505-667-9950 (lab)
Fax:   505-667-8021
email: cliu at lanl.gov