Re: Cylindrical to helix transformation

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg27906] Re: Cylindrical to helix transformation
  • From: "Paul Lutus" <nospam at nosite.com>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 04:31:29 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

"Andy Qualls" <aqualls at tsc.com> wrote in message
news:99ci74$8gv at smc.vnet.net...
> Greetings --
>
> We have a length of tubing with a line drawn down its length. The line is
> marked off in inches. We want to know how how that line would transform
when
> we shape the tube into a helix.
>
> I looked through my math books and could not find the cylindrical to
helical
> transformation.
>
> How would I do such a transformation in Mathematica?

Do you simply want a representative picture of a helix, or the actual
mapping of your cylinder onto a helix, with appropriate stretching,
computation of volume and surface area, etc.?

Obviously, in reality, you can make the line on the cylinder take any
position (for example, on the outer radius of the helix) by appropriate
rotations as the reshaping proceeds. This can also be modeled mathematically
with appropriate attention to details.

--
Paul Lutus
www.arachnoid.com