Re: Nonlinear differential equation

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg27982] Re: Nonlinear differential equation
  • From: "Paul Lutus" <nospam at nosite.com>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 01:26:21 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

"Fortunato Villella" <joint at [infoline.it]> wrote in message
news:99n5i5$igq at smc.vnet.net...
> Sorry for my english.
> I'm an engineer student, i'm following an advanced math course...
> My teacher gave me this system of differential equation:
>
> {y'[t]=(y[t]-a)*(c-y[t]), x'[t]=(x[t]+d)*(x[t]-b)}.
>
> I don't ask you to solve my sistem! But the theacher gave me the system
> without giving me any physical interpretation of the system, i think that
it
> represent a real situation !
> I ask you to help me in finding a relation between real world and math
> world.
> So: have you ever seen this system ? What kind of real situation could
> describe ???

It could describe a divergent system, like an uncontrolled increase in the
population of bacterial cells with no real constraints on their growth, for
example, or any other similar system whose future value increase
exponentially based on its present value.

Its behavior is sensitively related to the values assigned to a and c for
y(t), and d and b for x(t). These numbers ultimately determine the behavior
of the system.

But I think this system is simply an exercise, not really associated with
reality.

--
Paul Lutus
www.arachnoid.com