norm symbol

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg28102] norm symbol
  • From: "Simon Cowell" <sr.cowell at virgin.net>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 04:13:00 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Dear All,

When writing text, I use the double-vertical line symbol in the Complete
Characters / Operational / Relational palette as a "norm" symbol.
I place it on either side of a vector to denote the norm of that vector.
It is much shorter than the conventional notation, so I scale it up using
Alt and +.
When writing my thesis, this will become tedious.
Can I define the scaled-up version as a new character and use it instead ?

Many thanks,

Simon Cowell.