Patterns and default arguments

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg28113] Patterns and default arguments
  • From: Jeff DuMonthier <jeff at lheapop.gsfc.nasa.gov>
  • Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 02:58:48 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I am trying to combine a pattern with a default argument in a delayed
set expression and it is not working.

I can make a default argument work like this: f[x1_, x2_List:{}]:=...

And the pattern works like this: f[x1_, x2:{_Integer...}]:=

But if I combine the two like this: f[x1_, x2:{_Integer...}:{}]:=
Mathematica accepts it without error and the pattern expression works
but the default does not.

Am I using the wrong syntax or can the two just not be combined?

Also, is there a way to specify a pattern for aguments to something
defined as a function (i.e. 'Function[...]') rather than a delayed set?
I have to use 'Function' or ()& in order for the head to be 'Function'
rather than 'Symbol'.

                                       -Jeff DuMonthier