connectivity matrix.

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg28646] connectivity matrix.
  • From: Pete Bielawski <peteb at cisco.com>
  • Date: Fri, 4 May 2001 00:23:11 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

i'm trying to come up with an algorithm for transforming a matrix of
relative distances(A is 2 units from B, 3 units from C, 9 units from D,
B is 2 units from A, 1 unit from C, 11 units from D, etc...) to a matrix
describing the locations of the points on some arbitrary axis(A is
(0,0,0), B is (2,0,0), C is (6,2,2), etc...).  this algorithm is related
to swarm theory in some ways - trying to get a system of 100+ nodes
moving as one, for example.

so far, i've tried several methods: angle matching, applying similar
triangles, intersecting spheres, using polar coordinates instead, etc.,
but all of them seem to require excessive iteration and search trees.
i'm not asking for someone to solve my problem - i'm just looking for a
link that might help.

thanks in advance!