Re: Re: Problem overriding simple built-in functions

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg28848] Re: [mg28800] Re: [mg28796] Problem overriding simple built-in functions
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <andrzej at tuins.ac.jp>
  • Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 00:59:22 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

E.g.:

In[5]:=
GCD[{3,6,8,9},{6,4,6,12}]

Out[5]=
{3,2,2,3}

It seems to me think this can be pretty useful.

--
Andrzej Kozlowski
Toyama International University

http://platon.c.u-tokyo.ac.jp/andrzej/
http://sigma.tuins.ac.jp/~andrzej/

To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net

>> The reason for all this is thet GCD has the Attribute Listable:
>> In[1]:=
>> Attributes[GCD]
>>
>> Out[1]=
>> {Flat,Listable,Orderless,Protected}
>>
>> This means that GCD[{2,3}] is just {GCD[2],GCD[3]} which is just {2,3}. In
>> order for your over-ride to work you will have to clear the Listable
>> attribute of GCD with ClearAttributes[GCD,Listable] . You will, of course,
>> loose all the benefits of listability.
>>

>> --
>> Andrzej Kozlowski
>> Toyama International University
>> JAPAN
>>
>> http://platon.c.u-tokyo.ac.jp/andrzej/
>> http://sigma.tuins.ac.jp/~andrzej/
>>

>> on 01.5.13 4:28 PM, Jean-Christophe Deschamps at jchd at worldnet.fr wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm told the following occurs under Mathematica v4.0:
>>>
>>> In[1]:= GCD[{3, 6}]
>>> Out[1]= {3, 6}
>>> In[2]:= GCD[x_List] := Apply[GCD, x]
>>> In[3]:= GCD[{3, 6}]
>>> Out[3]= GCD[{3, 6}]
>>> In[4]:= Apply[GCD, {3, 6}]