Re: Has anybody gotten MathLink Modules to compile using Linux Mandrake 8.0

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg28910] Re: [mg28890] Has anybody gotten MathLink Modules to compile using Linux Mandrake 8.0
  • From: "P.J. Hinton" <paulh at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 01:13:13 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On Thu, 17 May 2001, msh wrote:

> I am trying to run /compile a mathlink module under Mandrake 8.0 (with
> kernel version 2.4.3-20mdk installed).  I've tried several things
>
> Using a mathlink module compiled under the 2.2 kernel (that works fine
> under Mandrake 7.2 -- kernel 2.2.17-21mdk)
>
> Using a mathlink module compiled under kernel 2.4.3-20mdk. (compilation
> proceeds without a problem using the make file below)
>
> Using either compiled mathlink executable under Mandrake 8.0 Mathematica
> reports that there was an error connecting with the mathlink object.
>
> I am running this test using a notebook that works fine under Mandrake
> 7.2.
>
> Has anyone else had this problem?  Does anybody have a suggested
> workaround?  Is the problem kernel related or has something else also
> changed to break things (networking is completely different, the
> compiler is different...).

Try running the external MathLink program directly from the shell's
command line.  If everything is ok, you should see a prompt that looks
like this:

	Create link:

If you are running into the problem that I am expecting, you will see an
error indicating a crash instead:

	segmentation fault

This happens when a program is linked against an older MathLink library
(libML.a) that was created under either libc 5 or glibc 2.0 and then
executed in an environment that runs glibc 2.1 or later.  The fix is to
get a newer release of the MathLink Developer's Kit for Linux, which is a
free download from the WRI Technical Support website.

A more detailed description of the problem may be found at this FAQ URL:

http://support.wolfram.com/MathLink/Linux/glibc21.html

If you have updated your MathLink Developer's Kit already and are still
running into troubles, please contact Technical Support directly at
<support at wolfram.com>

--
P.J. Hinton
User Interface Programmer                         paulh at wolfram.com