Re: Re: OOP in Mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg28933] Re: [mg28900] Re: OOP in Mathematica
  • From: andrzej <andrzej at bekkoame.ne.jp>
  • Date: Sat, 19 May 2001 22:27:51 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I think I have to agree Jens-Peer Kuska's basic point,  though I would
not express it quite as strongly. A couple of years ago I spent some
time studying Maeder's package and in particular the use made of it in
Gray's "Mastering Mathematica". I did it basically to learn what OOP was
and when I did not know anything about it I was enthusiastic about
learning to write my own programs in that style. However Gray's book
persuaded me it would be a bad idea. Chapter III of that book contains a
object oriented treatment of graph theory. Of all mathematical topics I
can think of graph theory is probably the most suited to this approach
yet I found soon that in every respect I preferred the treatment in
Skiena's "Implementing Discrete Mathematics" (the programs from which
form the Combinatorica package). I think all this amount to is the
rather obvious fact that in mathematics one is constantly defining
functions and functional programming offers the only natural way to do
so. But I  expect that for many non-mathematical purposes OOP may well
be preferable.

Andrzej Kozlowski
Toyama International University
JAPAN