Inverse of 27x27 sparse matrix with 4 symbols

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg28963] Inverse of 27x27 sparse matrix with 4 symbols
  • From: umud.ozturk at
  • Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 01:54:30 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Hi everyone,
I want to find out the inverse of a 27x27 sparse "m" matrix (in the
attachment -contact the author to get the attachement -modeator)
whose most of the elements are combinations of 4 symbols
I tried simply Inverse[m] but it seems that the 27x27 sparse matrix
with 4
symbols is beyond the practical limits. I use Pentium III with 256 MB
and I waited for days but I couldn't have any solution. Does anybody
similar experinces and are there more efficient methods to take inverse
such a matrix (... decomposition, etc)?
I really want to take the inverse of larger sized (100x100 even
sparse) matrices which includes the same 4 four variables.  When I
this, I observed that Mathematica does not use more than approximately
GB total virtual memory (RAM+swap space), does Mathematica 4.1 in PC
versions have any problems to adress the virtual memory larger than 1
Thanks in advance.

Umud E. =D6zt=FCrk
Ar=E7elik A.S. R&D Center
R&D Engineer
Phone: +90 (216) 585 85 85 Ext:8432 - 4122
Fax:   +90 (216) 585 85 80