Re: newbie: how to permanently change default directory

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg31418] Re: newbie: how to permanently change default directory
  • From: kbrunson at (KB)
  • Date: Sat, 3 Nov 2001 05:29:27 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

I received very specific instructions from support at that
was at the level I needed.  It might be useful to have the information
in the group archives.

Jens-Peer Kuska <kuska at> wrote in message news:<9pmc19$5pn$1 at>...
> Hi,
> you can't. But you can use SetDirectory[] in the init.m file.
> Regards
>   Jens
> KB wrote:
> >
> > As a support person and not a Mathematica user, I'm asking this on
> > behalf of a prof.
> >
> > Windows v4.1
> >
> > How does he permanently change the default path for saving files?
> > I've looked through the online help, so if this is documented a
> > reference is welcome, too.

This can be accomplished by using the SetDirectory command.
Information on SetDirectory can be found at:

or in the Help Browser.

To make this change by default, the kernel init.m file can be edited.
Information on editing the init.m file can be
found at:

This file can be editted with any text editor. Add the line:

where path is the directory where you want to save the file. An
example of this would be:

SetDirectory["C:\\Program Files\\Wolfram Research\\Mathematica\\4.0"]

which would make the Mathematica 4.0 folder the default directory.
Note that double back slashes need to be used.