Re: FindRoot

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg31509] Re: [mg31463] FindRoot
  • From: Tomas Garza <tgarza01 at prodigy.net.mx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2001 04:55:38 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

It is not a stupid mistake. Just bear in mind that FindRoot has attribute
HoldAll (see Help browser), which means that "all arguments to FindRoot are
to be maintained in an unevaluated form" (cf. ditto). And also, "You can use
Evaluate to evaluate the arguments of a HoldAll function in a controlled
way" (cf. ditto). Try the following:

In[1]:=
f[i_] := x == i

In[2]:=