Re: A Question about Expression Simplication

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg31572] Re: A Question about Expression Simplication
  • From: Jens-Peer Kuska <kuska at>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 03:41:48 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

it does not work at all, because Sum[] has the attribute HoldAll
and this will prevent almost all simplifications. The reason
is, that Sum[a+b,{i,1,Infinity}] may be convergent but
may be undetermined.

You notation  Sum[x_i, {i,1,2,T}] would mean run i from 1 to 2 in steps
of T.

You  must use rules explicit to handle
 Sum[x_i, {i,1,T}] - x_2

Sum[x[i], {i, 1, T}] - x[2] /.
  Sum[a_, {i_, 1, n_}] :> Sum[a, {i, 2}] + Sum[a, {i, 3, T}]

works as it should but will be an error for T<3