Re: making a function of two coordinates

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg31638] Re: [mg31617] making a function of two coordinates
  • From: Anton Antonov <antonov at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 03:11:22 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

	Hi Roderik,
	First for the exponential you can use the Mathematica build-in
function Exp[]. Also, equations in Mathematica are defined in with ==.
So this is OK:

In[1]:= Clear[U, e, a, t, y]
        Solve[y == U*Exp[a*t], a]

Out[1]:={{a -> Log[y/U]/t}}

	I used Clear[] because y = U*e^(a*t) sets a value to y.
(Try to evaluate  y = U*e^(a*t) first and then Solve[y == U*e^(a*t), a],
and you will see that nothing happens.) If you try

In[2]:= Solve[y == U*e^(a*t), a]

you will get

Out[2]:= {{a -> Log[y/U]/(t*Log[e])}}

since Mathematica doesn't know what e is.

	Best,
	Anton

Anton Antonov Antonov, PhD     *****     Wolfram Research Inc.
http://www.imm.dtu.dk/~uniaaa   ***   tel +1 217 398 0700 #782