Re: several messages

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg31004] Re: several messages
  • From: "P.J. Hinton" <paulh at>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2001 02:44:29 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

On Sat, 29 Sep 2001, Carlos Cabrera Zuniga wrote:

>  I started a sesion in a Linux machine A (or, i logged on in machine A),
>  and there i conected and started a new sesion in a Linux machine B
>  with complete graphics access in Machine A, so i started a Mathematica 4.0
>  (using the Mathematica graphical interface of B wich i can see in A)
>  application wich is running YET today.
>  The two machines are part of a single network and are using KDE Linux.
>  The problem started when someone...  turned off the machine A !,
>  so, any person would logon in A again, then again would logon in B,
>  open Mathematica 4, ok, seems ok,  but during the process the
>  Mathematica application could to be lost !, at least, i did it 2 times
>  in this way and those two times the application was lost!
>  So how to open Mathematica ( in A or B? ) so that i can see the
>  program without any dangerous change?

On Sat, 29 Sep 2001, Carlos Cabrera Zuniga wrote:

>  Some aditional comments to my posted message:
>  Note that Linux machines are involved, so i cant use the option
>  Kernel in a remote machine (this requires remote machine to be a Unix one,
>  well, until now, understand it so, but i am today a begginer in remote
>  kernels), so this way of working is in some way important for any user i think.
>  The problem is almost identical to the situation in wich in a Network
>  machine you run a Mathematica program, then you log out, then later
>  you logon, and then you want to open your Mathematica program wich is still
>  running, the ask is how to ensure yourself that your program shall be recovered
>  intact ?
>  Well, perhaps this is really an ask wich only involves Linux good knowledge,
> but, well, i hope some of you have experience on this subject.
> Aditional, one important point is that the application runs for a very long time,
> so one thing is what you want is to see how your application is going?, or
> if your application is running normally and all is ok.
>  Again, thanks for any ideas, comments, collaborations, and please
> excuse me if this is an only Linux related problem.

If you have a large calculation that you wish to run on another machine
unattended, you may want to consider saving your inputs in a plain text
file and then run the kernel in batch mode.  This archived posting
describes this process in greater detail.

This will allow you to start the computation on a remote machine as a
background process and log out.  Note that this does not protect you
against a situation where someone may reboot the machine while the
operation is in progress.  There is no way to recover from that kind of

P.J. Hinton
User Interface Programmer                         paulh at
Wolfram Research, Inc.