Re: Urgent but simple problem III

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg31020] Re: Urgent but simple problem III
  • From: Albert Retey <albert.retey at visualanalysis.com>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2001 02:49:06 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,

>  The real problem i believe, is that i have to start a new Mathematica session,
> i dont know if this shall kill my process. My anterior but little experience says
> that yes.

It is absolutly possible to have mathematica sessions running while you
are logged off. The point is that to achieve this easily you should
indeed work in text-mode. This is not so difficult, you can mark the
Cells to execute in your Notebook as Initialization-Cells and save the
notebook. This should produce a .m file which you can then run from the
command shell like this (on a tcsh):

math < file.m > file.out &

learn about the command shell you are using, you'll enjoy it! the < and
> are redirecting stdin and stdout to files, the & will put the process to background. On some systems it might be necessary to call the process with a nohup or something, I only vaguely remember somthing like that from an old Sun workstation, but this depends on the setup, so ask your sys-admin. Of course it is important to save your results in a way you can further work with them, so maybe just reporting the output in a file.out is not what you want, have a look at Mathematica-command like Save, Put and DumpSave. I (and many others) have used mathematica in that way successfully in calculations that run for many days and even weeks. It works quite well, the only problem I have seen resulted from network-lossed when the files were served over NFS, so probably it's better to use a local filesystem (it's much faster anyway). If this sounds weird to you, learn about UNIX-filesystems :-).

good luck

Albert