Newbie wants to iterate over rationals

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg31066] Newbie wants to iterate over rationals
  • From: Bob Harris <nitlion at mindspring.com>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2001 03:32:54 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Howdy,

I'm a newbie/occasional user of Mathematica.  I have a problem that involves
searching over 'all' rationals for values that pass some test.  I'd like to
search the interval (0,1) by increasing denominator, at the same time
checking the reciprocal, negative, and negative-reciprocal.  Is there any
function in Mathematica that given an integer n would prodcue a list of all
integers in the range 1..n that are relatively prime to n?  Or should I just
use gcd == 1 as a test?

Thanks for any help,
Bob H
Lawrenceville, GA