Re: What variables are in a function and displaying surds

Hi,

> Is there a way in Mathematica to generate a list of variables in an
> expression like Variable[]. For example if I passed the expression
> Sin[x+y]+ z/p - t the list {x,y,z,p,t} would be generated.

This is probably not bullet-proof, but should do the job (if any of the
x,y,z,p,t is set to e.g. a number it won't work anymore...):

Mathematica 4.1 for Linux
Copyright 1988-2000 Wolfram Research, Inc.
 -- Motif graphics initialized --

In[1]:= expr = Sin[x + y] + z/p - t;

In[2]:= Union[Cases[expr, _Symbol, Infinity]]

Out[2]= {p, t, x, y, z}

In[3]:= x=8;

In[4]:= Union[Cases[expr, _Symbol, Infinity]]

Out[4]= {p, t, y, z}

In[5]:= Quit[]

expr = Sin[x+y]+ z/p - t

Union[Cases[expr, _Symbol, Infinity]]