Recursive Rules

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg31147] Recursive Rules
  • From: "Mark S. Coleman" <mcoleman at>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2001 02:47:12 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

I know that a recurrent/recursive function can be written

f[t_] := f[t] = a + b*f[t-1].

So that once an initial value is stipulated, e.g., f[0]=0, then the
function "remembers" past values and can correctly calculate f[] for
any t.

I was wondering if it was possible to do the same thing with a Rule?