Re: How do I eliminate premultipliers of "1." ?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg31162] Re: How do I eliminate premultipliers of "1." ?
  • From: "Alan Mason" <swt at austin.rr.com>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2001 04:11:56 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello Brett.
You can get rid of them by applying a rule.

In[9]:=
expr = 1.0 a

Out[9]=
1. a

In[10]:=
expr2 = expr /. 1.0 u_:> u

Out[10]=

..  I agree with you, though.  Mathematica 4.1 even claims that 1.0 == 1 is
True.
In[5]:=
1.0 \[Equal] 1

Out[5]=
True

I consider this an outright error. 1.0 means a floating-point approximation
to 1, whereas 1 is exactly 1

The correct way to treat 1.0/1.0 is somewhat ambiguous.  Does 1.0 stand for
the same approximation at each appearance?  If so, the ratio should be 1;
otherwise, it should be 1.0.

Alan

news:9q8oeb$co$1 at smc.vnet.net...