Two-dimensional input

To accompany some lecture notes I am developing I would like to define a
pair of functions of x that could be entered from the keyboard as
x^\[UpArrow] and x^\[DownArrow]. The problem is that \[UpArrow] is a
binary operator and \[DownArrow] is a letterlike form. Is there a way? I
could, of course, use something like superminus and subminus, but I really
prefer the arrows.