Can NDSolve find the other solution???

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg31311] Can NDSolve find the other solution???
  • From: "cosmicstring" <cosmicstring at yahoo.com>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2001 01:08:24 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Dear friends,

I am using Mathematica 4.0 to solve two second order ordinary diff. eq.s
numerically  with four initial conditions given. I transformed  the set of
two second order eq.s to four first order eq.s. just as we do in Runge-Kutta
computation.

When I try NDSolve with those four first order ode's and four initial
conditions I get only one solution but when I work the system out(without
transforming to four 1st order eq.s) analytically I get two solutions which
is trivial because I am solving 2nd order eq.s.

Now, I would like to know if there is a way to obtain the other solution
using Mathematica. I need this solution because it is the physical one!

Thanks in advance...

cosmicstring at yahoo.com