RE: find argument of function inside long result?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg31332] RE: [mg31313] find argument of function inside long result?
  • From: "tgarza01 at prodigy.net.mx" <tgarza01 at prodigy.net.mx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2001 03:07:13 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

It should not be too difficult, depending on the way the Sqrt enters into your result. For example,

In[1]:=
expr=Sqrt[x1]+2 Exp[-y] +Cos[z] +Cos[b]  Sqrt[w]+Sqrt[2];

In[2]:=
Cases[expr,Sqrt[x_]->x]
Out[2]=
{2,x1}

In[3]:=
Cases[expr,___ Sqrt[x_]->x]
Out[3]=
{w}

Here we consider only those cases where Sqrt is by itself or with some coefficient. However, if it enters as an exponent of some other expression, for example, this case should be considered too.

Tomas Garza
Mexico City