Plotting a discrete probability distribution

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg30531] Plotting a discrete probability distribution
  • From: "OBrien-Malone" <dot at dot.dot>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 04:54:36 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

This will sound strange, but I would like to plot values defined by the
function for the Poisson Distribution PDF, but for values that are not
integers, and therefore not strictly part of the PDF

PDF[PoissonDistribution[3],x] returns the function in x as one would expect,
namely

3^x/(E^3   * x!)

I can now substitute values for x using

/. x->valueWanted

and have the function evaluate at valueWanted, but
Plot[ PDF[PoissonDistribution[3],x], {x, 0, 5}]
does not produce anything.

Ah, I've just seen that I can do it with Evaluate around the PDF, but
(1) *why* do I need it, when I do not need it with NormalDistribution?
(2) If I want to evaluate (plot) values in the extremities of the
PoissonDistribution, how can I push the precision in this case beyond
MachinePrecision so that I do not just get zero?

--
Cheers

Mark R Diamond
Mark R Diamond
Vision Research Laboratory
Department of Psychology
The University of Western Australia

SPAM AVIODING EMAIL:  ... at psy dot edu dot au, address to markd

Disclaimers: The opinions expressed herein are those of
the author, and are not intended to reflect on any
official positon held by The University of Western
Australia generally, the Department of Psychology
specifically, or any other individual