JLink an animated gif

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg30693] JLink an animated gif
  • From: Ulrich Hofstoetter <ulrich.hofstoetter at visualanalysis.com>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2001 02:22:43 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello,

I am trying to get an animation back into java as animated gif.

I could use Export and store the animation into a temporary file, but
as the animation should go into a database, i would prefer not to use
temporary files.

When i use ExportString[symbol, "GIF"] in a notebook, the output seems
to be an animated gif, but if i use

ml.evaluate("ExportString[Symbol, \"GIF\"]"); // ml is an Instance of
KernelLink
String animation = ml.getString();

i get a MathLinkException and the output looks like Postscript, here is
the last output from a PacketListener (only the last lines from the
postscript and the following packets), as well as the Stacktrace.

.76964 .61568 L
.77508 .6142 L
.78014 .61251 L
.79161 .60753 L
.80269 .60125 L
.81314 .59404 L
.83267 .57728 L
.87311 .5301 L
.91613 .46443 L
.95756 .39045 L
.9974 .31407 L
1 .30902 L
Mfstroke
% End of Graphics
MathPictureEnd
"
Packet type was DisplayEndPacket. Contents follows.
""
Packet type was ReturnPacket. Contents follows.
Null
MathLinkException: 3: MLGet out of sequence
        at com.wolfram.jlink.NativeLink.getString(Unknown Source)
        at com.wolfram.jlink.WrappedKernelLink.getString(Unknown Source)
        at Ani.<init>(Ani.java:34)
        at Ani.main(Ani.java:57)

If anybody could please direct me to a solution,

Yours Ulrich

--
Dipl.-Inf. Ulrich Hofstötter
Visual Analysis AG