Good news from the Math Forum@Drexel

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg30706] Good news from the Math Forum@Drexel
  • From: kristina at mathforum.org (Kristina Lasher)
  • Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2001 02:23:37 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Dear Math Forum friend:

As you know, the comp.soft.sys.math.mathematica discussion is hosted
on the Web by the Math Forum at http://mathforum.org/discussions.

We at the Math Forum are delighted to send you a letter from
Constantine Papadakis, the president of Drexel University. His letter
explains the good news about changes that the Math Forum has been
going through. Our comments follow his letter.

~~~~~~~~
The Math Forum, the nation's leading Web site for math and math
education, has been acquired by Drexel University and is now known as
The Math Forum@Drexel. The new address of the site is:
http://mathforum.org/
Pointers from the previous addresses will seamlessly redirect you to
the new location.

Under the direction of Dr. Harvill Eaton, Drexel University's senior
vice president for research and graduate studies, the University will
maintain the Math Forum@Drexel site as the nation's premier
mathematics resource. The site will continue to offer Math
Forum@Drexel users all previous services, and will introduce new
features and communities to ensure the site remains on the cutting
edge.

Drexel brings many strengths to the Math Forum: expertise in
mathematics, information science and technology, and education, as
well as a multidisciplinary team of faculty members and graduate
students to serve as volunteers and content providers.
http://www.drexel.edu/univrel/aboutdu/

Drexel is Philadelphia's technological university and in 1983 was the
first in the nation to require all students to have a personal
computer. In 2000, Drexel became the first major university to operate
a fully wireless CyberCampus.

To keep you updated on developments, I invite you to visit:
http://mathforum.org/

Thank you for your support of the Math Forum. Drexel looks forward to
continuing to provide you with the latest mathematics information and
technology. If you have any questions, please feel free to e-mail me
at papadakis at drexel.edu.

  Sincerely,
  Constantine Papadakis
  President
  Drexel University

~~~~~~~~
COMMENTS

We believe that this is the right home for the Math Forum for many
reasons. Drexel is interested in online learning, technology in
teaching, digital libraries, mathematics education, and other issues
we find important. Moreover, they bring a combination of the practical
and the theoretical into education in a way that we find exciting. We
feel very comfortable returning to the academic fold, certainly wiser
for our dot.com experience. We are grateful to WebCT for generously
supporting us and for the concern they have displayed for the Math
Forum Web site and our continuing research initiatives.

All of the Math Forum services will go forward, although the Problems
of the Week (PoWs) will provide services at a much lower level since
they are so labor-intensive. We will also go forward in new
directions, and, for example, hope to develop tools and techniques to
train mentors for the PoWs so that we can build them up in a
cost-effective way. Another avenue we hope to explore is using the
Math Forum and other digital libraries to study student learning. Now
that our energies are no longer focused on our reorganization, we are
ready to pursue many other collaborations with our friends and
colleagues and would welcome suggestions for joint endeavors.

As President Papadakis explained, we will be under the direction of
Harvill Eaton. Kristina Lasher is the Forum director, and Gene Klotz
will continue as the Math Forum's senior advisor.

Please change your bookmarks and any links you may use to our site to:
http://mathforum.org/ .

Thank you for your past support and interest. We look forward to
hearing from you and continuing to work with you and the rest of the
community.

Sincerely,

Gene, Kristina, and the staff at the Math Forum@Drexel