Cheating Multiple Point Attractors into Existence

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg30775] Cheating Multiple Point Attractors into Existence
  • From: Jeffrey Kazuo Yoshimi <yoshimi at taurus.oac.uci.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 00:16:15 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello all,

I want to create a digram for a paper I am writing which illustrates the
concept of point attractors in a phase plane.  I was going to simply draw
an example but my efforts looked pretty crappy so I figured I'd try
mathematica or some other computer mathematics system out.  So here' s my
question:

Does anyone know of a differential equation whose phase portrait contains
multiple point attractors ?  If the equation had some parameter(s) that
could be set to alter the number and location of these attractors even
better.  I don't care what the equation is, I just want to create a nice
looking picture with 3-5 point attractors and trajectories curving towards
them.

Any tips on how to graph the equations in Mathematica would also be helpful.

If I was a better mathematician I'd know what to do.  As it is I appeal to
your collective wisdom!

Thanks

Jeff Yoshimi