Re: Fitting to complex values

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg30801] Re: Fitting to complex values
  • From: "Lawrence A. Walker Jr." <lwalker701_remove_ at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 00:16:41 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi Kevin,

Both NonlinearFit and Fit functions perform the least squares fit.  I
found that both can be used on complex data directly.  Its just that Fit
does it with basis functions that are linear combinations and
NonLinearFit does it with a function you pick.  The method I proposed is
one of perhaps many.  I chose this method because I felt it offered the
flexibility in that the real part and imag part may very well have
distinct behaviors which is conducive for two distinct functions or models.

On a side note however, I kept getting the following error when I tried
to use NonlinearFit on the complex data directly:
"Less::nord: Invalid comparison with ... attempted."  Yet, Mathematica
returned an 'exceptable' solution.  Should I disregard the error message?

Thanks,
Lawrence