transformations for spherical panoramic viewing...

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg30879] transformations for spherical panoramic viewing...
  • From: "Corrinne/ Trent Grover" <catgrover at home.com>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 04:04:18 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,

I'm trying to create a spherical panorama viewer that doesn't use any
sort of OpenGL / texture memory in the process.  I would like to be
able to start with a rectangular image (standard spherical map, pitch
= vertical, yaw = horizontal).  Then I want to be able to fill in a
viewing window (640x480) with the corrected view of the panorama
according to the view's field of view, yaw, pitch, and roll values.
I've looked into some methods for handling this sort of
thing, but my results have been much too slow (about 6 fps on a P4
1.5G).  I was wondering if there are any mathematical shortcuts or
warping algorithms that could help me speed up my process.
Can anyone help me get started?

Thanks,
Trent