New user of Mathematica (FORTRAN related question)

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg30870] New user of Mathematica (FORTRAN related question)
  • From: Jorge Luis LLanio Trujillo <jolla at taurus.ci.uc.pt>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 04:04:08 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Dear all, i have some questions to ask

Q1: How to force mathematica to write to my output file file.f
    FORTRAN-compliant 72-character lines and also a continuation mark (*
    for example) in the 6 columns? It seems to me that FortranForm[]
    produce very bad fortran syntaxis.
    I need to compile this file after using MATHEMATICA ( f77 Digital
    Unix)

I mean,

     FortranForm[D[f,x1,x2]] >> file.f

     The file file.f gives me a bunch of compilation errors.

Q2:  Why Mathematica fails to do the substitution(and others like that):

                /        2          2          2
D[y,x1,x2] /. \/ (x4-x1)   + (x5-x2)  + (x6-x3)   -> R1

here y is some function of x1 and x2

Thanks very much for the help,
                              Jorge