Re: export graphics on a Suse Linux 7.0 PC

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg30881] Re: [mg30844] export graphics on a Suse Linux 7.0 PC
  • From: "P.J. Hinton" <paulh at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 04:04:20 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On Thu, 20 Sep 2001, Florian Flossmann wrote:

> I have a very urgent question:
> I'm running Mathematica 4.0 on a Suse Linux 7.0 PC and
> I'm not able to export any graphics; I always get an
> error code like:
> linkconnect: .....connection failed, ... TIF.exe not
> found.
> It is exactly the same problem as descibed by Roland
> Pabel on Sun.,5 Aug 2001. I searched the whole
> MathGroup archive, but I didn't find any answer to
> this. Am I just to stupid to find the answers to the
> posted questions or is there no existing solution to
> this problem ?
> Please help me, I don`t know an other way to export my
> graphics !

To import and export several different file formats, the kernel relies on
external MathLink converter programs.  If the kernel cannot locate or
successfully launch these programs, then error messages of the form you
describe may occur.

The first thing I would do is determine whether a given converter program
can be launched from a shell apart from the kernel.  The following steps
describe how this is done:

1) Determine the location of the Mathematica installation on your system.
This is done by evaluating the following expression in a Mathematica
kernel.

	$TopDirectory

The result is a string containing the full path.

2) Set a shell's working directory to the location of the external
converter programs:

> cd <path returned by $TopDirectory>/SystemFiles/Converters/Binaries/Linux

3) Launch a converter program.

	./TIFF.exe

If the program can be executed, you should get a prompt asking you for a
link name:

	Create link:

Hit Ctrl-C to kill the program.

5) If the converter cannot be launched, please tell us the _exact wording_
of the error message.

If the converter launches successfully, try launching the program from the
Install[] function within the Mathematica kernel.

Install[ToFileName[{$TopDirectory, "SystemFiles", "Converters",
  "Binaries", $SystemID}, "TIFF.exe"]

--
P.J. Hinton
User Interface Programmer                         paulh at wolfram.com