Re: How to Return from within a Table[]-Command?

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg33751] Re: [mg33728] How to Return from within a Table[]-Command?
  • From: "Johannes Ludsteck" <johannes.ludsteck at>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 02:14:05 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Dear Detlef,
unfortunately you didn't tell exactly what you want:
Do you want that Mathematica breaks if a non-integer
is found without returning anything or do you want
that Mathematica returns the list of transformed variables
before the non-integer element.

If you want the former, a possible solution is
    If[t===1,"Vector invalid",

i. e. first check whether the vector is valid and the
apply #/2

If you want the latter, you could define a counter variable
in the clock and count the number of elements until the non-integer
is reached. Then Throw the value of the counter and use
in in Map[#/2&,Take[li,counter]] to get the result.

Or if you want to use standard package functions:

In[1]:= 	<<Statistics`DataManipulation`
In[2]:=		fun[li_List]:= Map[#/2&,TakeWhile[li,IntegerQ]]
In[3]:=		fun[{1,2,a}]
Out[3]=		{1\/2, 1}

best regards,

On 10 Apr 2002, at 0:49, Detlef Mueller wrote:

> Hello,
> I wanted to scan trough al List, building a new
> List, but aborting, if one Element of the first
> List violates a special Condition ...
> say for example:
> Divide2[L_List] := Module[{},
>     Table[
>       If[IntegerQ[L[[i]]],
>         i/2,
>         Return["vector not valid."];
>         ]
>       , {i, 1, Length[L]}
>       ]
>     ]
> But this results:
> In[13]:= Divide2[{2,3,a}]
> Out[13]= {1/2, 1, Return["vector not valid."]}
> Wich is of course not what I want.
> Greetings
>   Detlef

Johannes Ludsteck