RE: SurfaceOfRevolution

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg33877] RE: [mg33833] SurfaceOfRevolution
  • From: "David Park" <djmp at>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2002 06:12:25 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

You can rotate a SurfaceOfRevolution plot about a point not the origin by
simply shifting the origin. Here is an example:

First, we plot a surface and extract the primitive graphics by taking the
First part.

surface = First[SurfaceOfRevolution[Sin[x], {x, 0, 2*Pi},
     DisplayFunction -> Identity]];

Then we shift all the plot points so the origin is at {2Pi,0,0}.

surface = surface /. {x_?NumberQ, y_?NumberQ, z_?NumberQ} -> {x + 2 Pi, y,

Now, we plot the shifted surface and a vertical line at the origin.

plot1 =
          AbsoluteThickness[2], Red,
          Line[{{0, 0, -2}, {0, 0, 2}}]}],
      PlotRange -> {{-4Pi, 4Pi}, {-4Pi, 4Pi}, {-2, 2}},
      Boxed -> False,
      ImageSize -> 400];

This rotates the resulting image.

SelectionMove[EvaluationNotebook[], All, GeneratedCell]

There are other variations depending upon your exact need. The whole process
is slightly easier using my DrawGraphics package, at my web site, because
the primitive graphics are immediately available for manipulation, there is
a DrawingTransform command for mapping plot points, and there is a
CustomTicks command for transforming and relabeling ticks.

David Park
djmp at

To: mathgroup at