Re: Bug in Sum causes index variable to remain set?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg33898] Re: [mg33838] Bug in Sum causes index variable to remain set?
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <andrzej at platon.c.u-tokyo.ac.jp>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 00:57:30 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On Sunday, April 21, 2002, at 06:59  PM, Martin Jenkins wrote:

> If f is something like Subscript, wrapping in a Block is impractical,
> as the
> start of the Block will clear any other values that is assigned to f,
> which
> may still have a bearing on the situation.  I maintain my belief that
> unset
> at the end is the best way around this problem.  I will, however, need
> use something that will penetrate If, such as /. anyway, so I think I'll
> just use =. at the end.

I find it difficult to imagine why you would like the iterator to have
any specific meaning. It seems to me very likely that whatever you are
doing can be done better in another way and that iterators ought to be
left alone to perform their proper role as "dummy" variables whose names
or values do not matter. It is really because I do not think that your
way of using iterators is "correct" (at least in the sense "as intended
by the designers of the program") that I do not think this behaviour can
be considered a bug.

Andrzej