RE: invisible graphics

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg33968] RE: [mg33957] invisible graphics
  • From: David.Annetts at csiro.au
  • Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 02:59:37 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,

> Hi, my request is going to seem sort of silly, so I'll explain what
> I'm trying to do.  I'm creating some fairly complex plots in
> mathematica that are made of curves produced by ParametricPlot[] and
> other graphics produced from Graphics[] commands.  My problem is that
> I want to be able to easily turn certain plots "off" and "on."  I'd
> like to do this with PlotStyle if possible, but all the obvious things
> don't work.  For instance, if you do
>
> Plot[x^2,{x,-1,1},PlotStyle->Thickness[0]]
>
> you can still see the graph.  I've also tried AbsoluteThickness[0],
> PointSize[0], AbsolutePointSize[0], and Dashing[{}] and none of them
> make the plot disappear.  I can't set the color to white, because then
> the curves I'm trying to hide appear to erase the other curves in my
> picture.
>
> Does anyone know an option I can give to ParametricPlot that will
> cause it to not draw a graph?

Apart from $DisplayFunction->Identity, no.

Another approach might be to AppendTo[finalPlot, subPlot] based on some
criterion, then render the whole lot using
	Show[finalPlot, DisplayFunction->$DisplayFunction];

Regards,

Dave.
  Dr. David Annetts             EM Modelling Analyst
  Tel: (+612) 9490 5416         CSIRO DEM, North Ryde
  Fax: (+612) 9490 5467         David.Annetts at csiro.au
                 Include "usual_disclaimers"