Mathematica v2 passwords still available for NeXT

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg34015] Mathematica v2 passwords still available for NeXT
  • From: Tom Zahm <tpzahm at mac.com>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 03:27:47 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

For all of you who have upgraded your NeXT hardware and want to run
Mathematica v2 again:

Do *not* contact customer service -- they can't help, and may even tell
you that it's impossible.

Instead, email technical support - mailto://support at wolfram.com - and
send them:

+ Platform: NeXT
+ Version: (typically 2)
+ License Number: L20xx-xxxx (see the package or papers that accompany
the installation disks)
+ MathID: xxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx (Run MathInstaller do get this)

Ask to have your password generated.

They  should email you back with a string that can be used in
MathInstaller to activate Mathematica and if necessary "dump" the
executable.

NOTE: It's  entirely possible that they check the ownership of the license.

** What it you don't have a license? **

I don't know if it's possible anymore, but when I bought my station a
couple  of years ago, I contacted the previous owner (a particular
individual at an academic institution) and he emailed Mathematica to
inform them that it was OK to transfer the license to me.   I can't
recall if there was a fee involved.   I was lucky in that the license in
question hadn't been upgraded to a newer version, and so the previous
owner didn't mind "giving" it away.

Cordially,
Tom Zahm