Mathematica EPS to Distiller PDF Font Problem Solved (?)

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg34036] Mathematica EPS to Distiller PDF Font Problem Solved (?)
  • From: aes <siegman at stanford.edu>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2002 00:56:57 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

There have been a number of postings in the past, from me and others, about a
problem in which Distiller 5.0 will refuse to distill (convert to PDF) documents
produced by Word, PowerPoint, Textures, etc., if these documents contain EPS
graphics that were originally produced by and exported from Mathematica.

The problem seemed to have something to do with complexities of legal
authorizations to reproduce or imbed certain Math 1 fonts used by Mathematica as
default fonts for graphics (although this may not be actually correct, and my
understanding of the exact details is limited).

 The problem did not occur in Acrobat/Distiller 3.0, and could be worked around
in 5.0 by opening the EPS graphics in Illustrator and converting any text in
Math 1 fonts to Helvetica or some other font before inserting them into any
documents.

I've recently received a communication from Peter Heemeijer, University of
Amsterdam, saying that the problem appears to be solved by opening the
"Settings" menu in Distiller and adding the folder

      Mathematica/SystemFiles/Fonts/Type1

to the list of "Font Locations".  This works for him in Distiller 4.0, and
worked for me with Distiller 5.0, at least in one quick test [1].

I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who has anything to add to this.

[1]  The test was done on a Mac PB G3, generating a simple plot in Mathematica
4.1, Exporting it as "EPS", inserting it into a TeX document using Textures, and
printing the typeset document to PDF using the AdobePS printer driver that comes
with Acrobat 5.0.