Re: Mathematica to QuickTime Movie Player Questions

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg35870] Re: Mathematica to QuickTime Movie Player Questions
  • From: "Gareth J. Russell" <gjr2008 at columbia.edu>
  • Date: Sun, 4 Aug 2002 06:00:46 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,

On 8/3/02 12:13 AM, in article aiflgd$q2o$1 at smc.vnet.net, "AES"
<siegman at stanford.edu> wrote:

> I want to convert a sequence of graphic images (Graphics) created in
> Mathematica to a QuickTime movie using the "Save Selection as QuickTime"
> or "Convert to QuickTime" menu commands in Mathematica, and play them as
> a slide show.
>
> The images start out as EPS vector graphics in Mathematica; 'd like to
> get full screen display and sharp rendering of type and lines.

Alas, QuickTime is for raster animation only. You are thinking of something
like Flash or Scalable Vector Format, which are not supported by
Mathematica. (It would be nice if they were!)

> 1)  What's the aspect ratio (AspectRatio) and image size (ImageSize) for
> a QuickTime movie? ( Can this be changed?)

As far as I can tell, Mathematica saves the frames exactly as displayed in the Front
End. So if you want higher resolution, you should make the images bigger to
begin with.

> 2)  What "Compression" (Animation, Graphics, TIFF. etc) should I use in
> the QuickTime conversion to get sharp rendering of type and lines in a
> magnified image of the graphics?  (Is there any vector image format
> available in the QuickTime Player?)

The compression options are all raster-based, so none will give you what you
are after (see above). Given that, the "Animation" option seems fine for
this kind of thing.

> 3)  Is there any way to get rid of the surrounding Movie Player frame
> and play a movie "full screen"?

Yes, by upgrading to QuickTime Pro, which is about $30 or so from Apple, or
by using one of the many alternative movie players out there. Note that as
you will be scaling up a raster image, it will be blocky/blurry at large
sizes unless you start with a very high-resolution series of images.

An alternative approach is to save the images as separate image files with
names like image1, image2, etc. You can then generate a movie from the image
list, again, using QuickTime Pro or a shareware solution. I'm not sure, but
you may be able to specify a vector format (such as EPS) or a hybrid (such
as PICT) for the images, and still have this read into a movie. The images
will still be converted to raster as the movie is made, but you should be
able to specify the output resolution as an option in QuickTime Pro, and
have it scale nicely to that size.

Hope this helps!

NOTE NEW E-MAIL ADDRESS BELOW!
Dr. Gareth J. Russell

Department of Ecology, Evolution and Environmental Biology
Columbia University MC 5557
1108 Schermerhorn Extension
1200 Amsterdam Avenue
New York, NY 10027