Re: Off Topic - Jacobian and Change of Variables

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg35881] Re: Off Topic - Jacobian and Change of Variables
  • From: Selwyn Hollis <slhollis at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2002 06:01:52 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Kevin,

It comes down to a fact about determinants, whose proof can be found in
any intermediate-level linear algebra text:

    volume(L(R)) = |det L|* volume(R)

Use that with R = dV and L = the linearization of the integrand, i.e.
the Jacobian. By the way, a wonderful reference is ``Linear Algebra Done
Right" by Sheldon Axler (Springer). See also ``Advanced Calculus of
Several Variables" by C.H. Edwards (Dover).

----
Selwyn Hollis
slhollis at mac.com